Monday, October 18, 2010

Dear Agent: My Kids Loved My Book!

Oh, to be this happy and contented in life
Of the many don'ts of query writing on children's books has to do with acknowledging that children have loved your book in the text of your query.  This makes sense.  After all, kids who read your book will likely be extremely biased, especially if you're reading it to them.  When it comes down to the dollars and cents marketability of your book, the opinion of a bunch of kids sadly doesn't mean much.

I believe, though, that there is still merit in having kids read your MG book.  (Or in having teens read your YA book)  I've made sure that two of my beta readers give my manuscripts over to their kids to read as part of the beta reading process.  After all, my books are for their childrens' age group and I need to know if what I'm writing is truly reaching them.

I'm not looking for, nor am I expecting, an in-depth critique from these MG readers.  (I do appreciate one of my beta reader-parents asking his son specific questions, probing for greater detail)  The writerly aspects of the story aside, I simply need to know my story is connecting with the kids, if it's holding their interest and if they're wanting to turn the pages to see what happens next.  If not, I know I've got some serious work to do.

So, I won't claim in a query that kids have liked my books (although they have, thankyouverymuch) but I can't see trying to get something published for their age group without knowing someone in that age group has liked it.


Do you have people in your target age group read your manuscripts?  Have they helped you at all?  Have you made any changes in your stories based on their feedback?  (I have -- it's posted in the comments section)


-- Tom

7 comments:

  1. In the first of my MG eccentric professor and clever new lab assistant stories I had a major steam-driven robotic character "die". The son of my one friend was visibly upset by this (and I felt miserable for making him feel so bad). Two adult readers pointed out that it was strange to have such a major character "die" in a children's book. I agreed, and re-wrote the ending so the gearwork character lives.

    (The son will get full thanks in the acknowledgement page of the book whenever it finds an agent & publisher)


    -- Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son reads my stuff (oh, and talks about it to his teachers at school...) and has given it high praise, which I take with a grain of salt. I will ask a non-family kid to read my things before sending them out to agents, just to make sure that they do indeed 'float'. I just think it's one of those steps that you take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually encountered the opposite. I like to read my story aloud to my mother--obviously not a young adult, right? But she's the catalyst for most of the major changes I've made to my MS so far. Maybe she's far too insightful, but I think anyone who's willing to give you an honest opinion is worth it (yes, she's my mom, and she's probably sugar coating her suggestions...but she did tell me my main character wasn't likable. I think that's honesty). Kids are generally honest--I don't think they'd finish reading a book they didn't like (they won't even finish food they don't like).

    I haven't had any teenagers read my book yet, but I'm sure it'll happen at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have kids read my books, my own kid and others. Their feedback has always been helpful and their enthusiasm is balm to an aspiring author's soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have teens read my YA books, but the best feedback regarding changes still comes from my critique partners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather: Agreed -- it's a step to take. (Although it's pretty cool your son likes your books enough to brag about them to his teachers)

    Jessica: It's great your mom is willing to read and give you direct feedback. (Mine would probably do the same thing, but I'll wait and give her a printed copy whenever it's published all the same) : )

    Vonna: I think having anyone read and appreciate the work we, as writers, have put into our manuscripts is part of what helps to keep us going. Having our target audience do that for us is even better.

    Kristi: I agree wholeheartedly. Most of my feedback from kids has been along the lines of "it was good" or "I liked it." There's nothing like the direct, pointed feedback from my CP who knows writing inside and out and sees, far more clearly than I, where the problem areas in the story/writing are!


    -- Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't really had beta readers in my target age range read my books yet. Not because I don't want them to, but because I don't know any.

    ReplyDelete