Tuesday, February 7, 2012

World Book Night 2012

World Book Night 2012
A month or so ago I first read about World Book Night.  It's an amazing idea: allow book lovers to give books to people for free. 

Or, as the World Book Night website says:

"What is World Book Night?
World Book Night is an annual celebration designed to spread a love of reading and books. To be held in the U.S. as well as the U.K. and Ireland on April 23, 2012. It will see tens of thousands of people go out into their communities to spread the joy and love of reading by giving out free World Book Night paperbacks.

World Book Night, through social media and traditional publicity, will also promote the value of reading, of printed books, and of bookstores and libraries to everyone year-round."
The list of books they had chosen was impressive and included some of my favorites.  As part of the application process you had to choose your top three choices and include a brief paragraph on why you wanted to give away your top choice.  My top choice was Because of Winn-Dixie, a book by one of the authors I most respect, Kate DiCamillo.  It's a story of quietly deep characters told simply and with a clear, distinct voice.  Listening to the audio book, I was blown away by how elegant DiCamillo's writing was and how much restrained emotion it carried.

Last week I heard back from the World Book Night people saying I had been selected to be a book giver.  This means on April 23rd I'll be going to one of my local book stores and picking up 20 copies of a book.  My task then is to find 20 people to give them away to that night.

The interesting thing is that I don't know for certain what book I'll be getting (they've said they can't guarantee you'll get any of your top choices).  That means I won't be sure where I'll be going to give them away until that night. 

The 23rd of April is going to be a fun night.  My wife is just as excited as I am. 


-- Tom