Monday, February 23, 2015

While Waiting

This Infinity Scarf is actually a dark green.

Thanks to several very helpful ßeta readers (especially SteveHeather and Anna) I was able to get Rev 2.0 of The Book out to my agent in early February.

Now, if I was a disciplined writer I would be jumping right into The Next Book.  After all, that's how people like Anna write and get so many books published.  However, if I was a disciplined writer I wouldn't have taken close to a year to get Rev 2.0 back to my agent.

Or maybe that first 'disciplined' should be 'less cynical.'  The last time I submitted The Book I jumped back into the sequel that I had written a while ago.  I was in the midst of expanding the story and making other revisions when it was suggested that I hold off on any sequel writing until we had an idea of sales figures from the first book.  Oh, and there was a list of revisions needed on The Book, too.

If my agent wants a Rev 3, I don't want to stop work on The Other Book and jump back into The Book.  So, instead, I've decided to do something else with my time.

Handmade Chainmail shirt (front)
Back during our Craft Show Days I was making a lot of wire-wrapped bangles and handmade chains.  At some point I decided to make myself a chainmail shirt.  I referred to it as 'knitting with metal' which, I knew, wasn't exactly true.  Knitting is a series of interconnected slip knots, while chainmail is a series of interconnected closed metal loops.  Still, people understood the idea of repeating pattern work.

Besides, I had wanted to learn how to knit for a long time.  My body doesn't hold in heat well, so working with a warm material (wool yarn) to make warm clothing (scarves, hats, sweaters) sounded like a good idea.  My wife, however, made me promise to finish the chainmail shirt before I learned how to knit.

Which was a wise thing, because finishing that shirt was a bear of a job.

After that project was completed I still had Rev 2.0 looming over me.  I imposed the "Finish Rev 2.0 before learning how to knit" dictate upon myself, knowing that watching Doctor Who episodes was distraction enough from writing.

So, with Rev 2.0 out to My Trusted ßeta Readers, I was finally free to take up knitting.  First up, a scarf for my wife.  Second up, a better scarf for my wife (above).  Third up, a scarf for myself.

I'll hang up the needles when it's time to work on The Next Revision.  Or The Next Book.  It all depends on what news I get from my agent.


-- Tom