Thursday, April 26, 2012

Four and a Half Post-World Book Night Thoughts

Jacques Francois Duvall sleeping in my World Book Night Giver Box

1. As expected, my World Book Night Giver Box makes an excellent napping spot for one of our cats.

2. I don't think there was a wrong way to give out books on WBN.  I liked the idea of giving books to kids who probably didn't have many, if any, books of their own.  However, after I read author Chris Cander's blog entry about going to a homeless shelter for teenagers, I'm rethinking how I want to approach this next year.

3. A co-werker of mine, Dr. Sara Cohen, blogged about her experiences giving away copies of "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Díaz at the werkplace's blog.

Two things about her experience:
3a. Sara writes, "One of the groups of people I approached declined my offer on the grounds that they didn’t have time to read."  I cannot comprehend making the choices necessary to live such a life, nor simply making the conscious choice to live a life where I would not read.

3b. The local Raleighwood newspaper printed four paragraphs from this blog entry in their daily "Best of the Blogs" feature.  While they credited her by name, they failed to provide a link back to the original source material.  There's a basic bit of intellectual property/copyright common sense here that's just missing for me.  I seriously doubt said newspaper would appreciate me posting four paragraphs of their original content, only crediting the author and not the publication.  Really N&O?

4. Naps, even when taken in the comforting confines of a World Book Night Giver Box, are wonderful things.