Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In Which I Sign With An Agent

Reliable Self-Portrait
March 2013
Monday I signed a contract with Caryn Wiseman of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency.  This idea still seems slightly unreal to me: after three years of querying I actually have an agent.

That having been said, my inner widesmile hasn't calmed down since receiving her email last week asking for a phone call to discuss representation.

Signing with the right agent was not a simple process.  It took a lot of time, work, and persistence.  I ended up working with two agents on a non-committal revise and resubmit basis, a process that certainly improved my manuscript, but proved frustrating when they each decided to pass.  (So close, yet so far.)

While I was going through all of that I wrote entries describing each part of the process with the intention of posting them when I finally signed with an agent.  The idea behind doing this was solely because I hoped they might help unsigned writers by providing an idea of what can happen when working with an agent.  To be clear, I have nothing but praise for each of the people I worked with -- they each liked my story and writing, each was willing to take a chance with their time and energies to work with me.  That things didn't work out is just part of what happens sometimes.

Over the next few weeks I'll be posting those entries.  I won't be naming names, but I will be describing  the ups and downs of what happened to me.  Again, hopefully someone might find this helpful.  (I would have found these helpful when I was still querying.)

As for now, however, I have a hard time thinking of any agent who would be better for me than Caryn.  She works exclusively with kidlit authors, has done so for 10 years, and has sold over 200 book to publishers.  And, best of all, she loves my book!

Now I get to ask What do Tom Anglesburger and I have in common?  Being repped by Caryn Wiseman.  What do Maggie Stiefvater and I have in common*?  We're repped by the Andrea Brown Lit Agency.  That's very good company, if you ask me.


-- Tom

_______________________________________

*Besides this video, of course.