Thursday, October 4, 2012

Kate DiCamillo on Writing


Kate DiCamillo is one of my favorite authors.  Her MG books are each different and yet examples of pure, clear writing and storytelling.

While she has her own web site, she doesn't blog.  The closest she gets is her author page on Facebook.

Every now and then Kate responds to letters through the FB page.  I read this last week and, after thinking about it, decided just to quote it here.  Some things don't need embellishment.

Hannah Boutilier
Hey Kate! I absoutely love your stories, your beautiful writing, and your books. My question for you is this-as a writer, have you ever wanted to give up? How did you deal with those feelings and fight them?
Have I ever wanted to give up?  Yes.  All the time.  I have been at this (trying to tell stories) for eighteen years now. In that time, I have found several things to be true:
1. I am happier when I am writing than when I am not writing. 
2. It is easier to do the work than it is not to do the work.
3. The days when I think about giving up are (sometimes) the days when the clouds part and the angels sing. 
So I just keep showing up. 


Does this resonate with you?

-- Tom