Thursday, May 2, 2013

Brian Selznick on Writing After the Caldecott



Being on the bottom of the in-house circ list for magazines means I often don't see Publisher's Weekly until months after the cover date.  The other week, for instance, I just got the January 14th edition.

In that edition is an article titled "The Call That Changes Everything -- or Not" by Shannon Maughan.   The article consistes of brief interviews with authors and illustrators who have won the Newbery or Caldecott Medals.  In the interview with Brian Selznick is this great quote:
"Selznick says he did not find it intimitdating to return to work after winning his medal, "because for a long time my goal with each new book has been for it to be 'better' than my lst one.  I don't mean more commerically successful, I mean with each new book I have tried to push myself to do something I've never done before.  Therefor, I'm not trying to win another Caldecott, or make a book that sells more copies than Hugo, but I'm trying to take all the things I learned from that book and do something new with them."
Yet another reason why I like Selznick and his books.


-- Tom